As we begin the month of December many of you might be interested in some ideas for book gifts, or ways to spend that bookstore gift card grandma sent.
So I’m here to help. The following list compiles some great new middle grade novels, most of which I have either read or I have on my need to read pile (which is ever growing and immense).
- Peter Nimble & His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier
- Wildwood by Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis
- The Apothecary by Malie Meloy
- Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursa (just announced as NPR’s Backseat Book Club selection for the month of December)
- The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
- Floors by Patrick Carman
- The Familiars & Secrets of the Crown by Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobson
- Mysterious Benedict Society Series and Mr. Benedict’s Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums: A Mysterious Benedict Society Companion Book
I am just finishing Wildwood by Colin Meloy and his wife Carson Ellis. It has been a fantastic fantasy set in a large wooded park outside of Portland, Oregon. It reminds me of the world of Narnia a great deal. Rich language and great adventure pulls you through this novel.
I have also read Floors by Patrick Carman. Floors tells the somewhat zany tale of a rich eccentric who builds a fantastic hotel with all kinds of crazy rooms and floors. The life size pinball room interests me the most. It is reminiscent of The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin.
My daughter read, and loved, The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobson. She is looking forward to reading the sequel, Secret of the Crowns.
My next read becomes a toss-up between The Unwanteds, The Apothecary (which was written by Colin Meloy’s sister), and Breadcrumbs. I might ask the students to help me make the final choice.
Let me know if you have any questions or would like to know more about the books on the list.